Grain Free Pumpkin Dog Treats
These pumpkin dog treats are quick and easy to make. Chock full of nutritious ingredients, this is one treat your pooch will enjoy any day of the year! It's also low in calories and a yummy change of pace with the irresistible aroma of cinnamon.
Pumpkin Dog Treats Recipe
- 1 cup canned pumpkin, pure unsweetened (preferably organic)
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add water, up to 1/2 cup to bind
Pumpkin Dog Treats - Not Just For Halloween
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Combine pumpkin, honey and cinnamon in a large bowl
- Add all three flours and salt and mix well
- Gradually add water to form a workable dough
- Roll out on floured surface to 1/4" thick
- Cut into shapes of your choice
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet
- Bake time is dependent on size and thickness of treats. Start with 15 minutes or more until golden brown
- Cool completely before storing in airtight container - will last about two weeks in refrigerator or much longer in the freezer.
Nutrition Facts Per 13 g serving
Calories: 43 cal | Carbohydrates: 5 g | Protein: 2 g | Fat: 1.9 g | Saturated Fat: 0.3 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 29 mg | Potassium: 53 mg | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 1 g | Vitamin A: 0 IU | Calcium: 5 mg | Iron: 0.4 mg
Pumpkin Dog Treats - Notes
This recipe is naturally gluten free making it ideal for dogs with a sensitivity to grains or other food allergies.
Pumpkin is a good source of fiber plus antioxidants in the form of vitamins A, C and E. It's also noted as a remedy for digestive issues such as diarrhea and constipation - yes I know that's sounds strange but don't shoot the messenger!
Be sure to use straight pumpkin - not pie filling, but I'm sure you knew that.
Not all cinnamon is created equal when it comes to dogs. The best kind to use in treat recipes is Ceylon cinnamon and while the aroma will get Fido's attention, the ASPCA recommends not going over one teaspoon in any dog treat recipe.
Coconut flour is made entirely from coconut meat and is a good nutritional alternative to grain flours as is almond flour. Both are naturally gluten free.
Nutritional information is based on approximately 36 treats