Natural Flea And Tick Control
Neem Flea Shampoo
Neem Flea Spray
Keeping Fleas And Ticks Away From Your Home
- Wash dog bedding in hot soapy water
- Buy the best vacuum you can afford and run it through every nook and cranny of your home paying special attention to your dog's favorite spots. Vacuuming is so important for flea control in the home - do it daily if you can.
- Wrap vacuum bag or canister contents into a separate plastic bag each time you vacuum, seal and discard to outside garbage container. Don't want those critters getting back in.
- Apply a safe flea and tick control product such as Fleabusters or this one everywhere around the inside of your house.
For the outside areas of your house and yard - especially in shady moist areas, or where your pets
like to lie, use a product containing
diatomaceous earth. This all natural very fine powder is
made from fossilized skeletal remains of algae-like plants. The powder particles - much like talcum to look at - have incredibly
sharp edges which destroy a flea's protective coating and dehydrates them.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Diatomaceous earth for use in pool filters is not the same thing and should not be used for natural flea and tick control purposes.
- Another great help with flea control around the yard, the lawn and in flower and vegetable gardens, is the use of nematodes. These beneficial microorganisms which consume flea larvae, are harmless to pets, plants or humans. They are also very helpful in destroying other plant-destructive insects in the soil.
Ticks On Dogs And Around The YardTicks can carry a host of diseases, including lyme disease, which can be transmitted to dogs. Ticks like to hang out in grassy fields or wooded wilderness areas, but dog parks and even areas your own back yard are also potential habitats.
- When your dog has walked about in obvious tick territory, make sure to go over his entire body from top to bottom - literally - in search of them! Ears and neck are frequent targets but so are natural skinfolds - such as where legs meet body or between toe pads.
- When you find ticks on dogs, they must be removed right away by pulling straight out with a pair of tick tweezers and flushed down the toilet. Sometimes you may be able to find them before they have become embedded.
- To aid in the battle for natural flea and tick control, try to go for walks in places that they are less likely to be.
- When it comes to your yard there are simple steps you can take to make it less attractive to ticks. These steps involve keeping grass short, tall weeds abated and bushes trimmed. Since ticks can't jump or fly, they crawl up tall plant material using these as perches from which they can drop or get brushed onto a passing pet or human. They may also crawl up your house and lay in wait under window sills and other crevices, so filling cracks and similar hiding places is another preventative measure.
- Ticks also require a certain level of humidity to survive and may be attracted to shaded areas of your yard where moisture, leaves or other debris accumulates. Getting rid of this type of ground cover will allow the area to dry out making it less hospitable to ticks and eliminating another potential habitat or a place to deposit their eggs.
There are numerous remedies available to do battle with parasites, but our preference is for natural products, that do not contain harmful ingredients or toxic pesticides.
While the natural flea and tick control approach may take a little longer to work, the advantage is that these products can be used
safely for year-round protection of our pet's health when dealing with fleas on dogs.
While you are treating the dog and the house, don't forget yourself. Essential oils are a natural way to repel fleas and other bugs. The following ones are frequently used for this purpose: citronella, tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, or cedar wood. They can be blended together with a carrier oil such as jojoba and rubbed on arms and legs for protection.
Natural Flea And Tick Control - Keeping Rover flea free....Flea prevention for dogs - ongoing recommendations to consider:
- Buy washable bedding and launder often in hot water.
- Keep outdoor areas treated with natural flea and tick control products at least until the first frost. Regular outdoor treatment is especially important to combat any unwanted fleas that may be left by visiting neighbor dogs.
- Consider getting some dog bedding containing cedar fill, known for its flea-repellent properties. Also, a cedar dog house.
- Look for signs of tapeworms - rice-like grains in your dog's feces and seek help right away if you see any.
Fleas And Ticks Are Persistent And You Must Be Too!Dog fleas - aargh. They are a menace for both pets and people and once they check in, they are hard to check out. Left untreated, a dog with fleas will suffer from irritating skin conditions, including dermatitis. These parasites also carry the tapeworm, which can be transferred to your dog if he successfully bites into a flea.
Fleas and ticks have been around for millions of years - if you have a dog, spoiled or otherwise,
sooner or later you will encounter them. And what's worse, these cooties are
strong survivors so you have to be very diligent to protect your pet from them.
It only takes a few female fleas a very short time to multiply into a staggering colony if their eggs are not destroyed. And while an adult flea can't live but a few days without a meal, fully developed fleas can remain inside the pupal cocoon for several months without eating - just lying in wait for an innocent food source - host - to come their way.
Signs That Your Dog May Have Fleas Or TicksHow do you know if your dog has fleas? Well the most obvious sign is that you see a flea jump off your dog or you spot an embedded tick on his body, but before that happens, here are some other telltale signs:
- Sudden increase in scratching and chewing
- Patches of dry skin
- Patches of hair loss
- Flea Dirt on the skin
- Flea eggs on the skin
- Evidence of flea or tick bites
Natural flea and tick control is an ongoing process as long as you have furry companions in your home.
Tip - For a periodic flea check on the inside of your home: Put out a flea trap - this one- is a popular choice and gets rid of them without the use of chemicals. You'll get the jump on them so to speak and be able to attack the problem before it gets worse!
Whatever natural flea and tick control products you select to help your pet with parasites, make sure to precisely follow the label directions for use. And, please keep an eye on your dog for any allergic or adverse reaction. Even dog flea products that are regarded as very safe for most dogs, may cause an unwanted reaction in some dogs.
Home › Dog Grooming Essentials › Natural Flea & Tick Control
Spray for Pets
Goodbye Pet Hair!
Beneficial Nematodes - Kill Over 230 Bugs
You Might Also Like
Protection Against Fleas & Ticks
Newton Homeopathics - Natural Flea & Bug Bites Remedy for Dogs
Botanical Flea Control
Lasts Five Months
For Dogs And Puppies!
AniMed Brewer's Yeast
Control For Dogs
© 2004-2019 dog-spoiling-made-easy.com
and its licensors. All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate
advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees
by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. In addition, we sometimes refer to
products and services from other select companies that may provide commission for referrals.