Cushings Disease In Dogs
2. Adrenal gland tumors are less common than the pituitary gland tumor. The adrenal gland tumor is located in (one or both of) the two small adrenal glands in front of the kidneys. The hormone located here regulates water balance and electrolytes. The cause of tumors in this area can be due to injury, infection, or autoimmune deficiencies.
3. Medication-caused Cushings Allergy medications can cause Cushings disease in dogs and this condition can be fully reversed. The dog will be prescribed steroid medication that will be tapered off. Recovery should take a few months. Diagnosis by your vet should be arranged if your dog is experiencing any of the symptoms discussed. Here are some very important tests to ask for if your vet does not offer them:
- A complete blood count (CBC)
- Urinalysis and bacterial culture of urine
- Urine cortisol-creatinine ratio
- Abdominal ultrasound exam and xrays
- MRI of the brain
- ACTH stimulation test
Canine Cusings Disease Symptoms
- Extreme water consumption followed with excessive urination (in the house as well as outside).
- Appetite is severely increased raids garbage in the house or out; pulls foods down off kitchen counters
- Pot belly appearance (abdominal enlargement)
- Sores or lesions developing on body- you will notice if your dog requires frequent grooming
- Hair loss or thin skin
Treatment Of Canine Cushings Disease
Conventional treatment by your vet will likely involve Lysodren which limits the glands ability to produce excess cortisol. Make sure you put on gloves when touching the Lysodren to avoid absorption through the skin.
You may even wish to consult with a Homeopathic Veterinarian to consider this approach. But, it may be prudent to note that homeopathic remedies should be used with caution as the debate continues on their dilution and effectiveness.
Managing a diet for Cushings dogs is another aspect of helping your dog. Work with your vet on diet suggestions. But stay away from commercial dog foods because they contain too many preservatives.
One diet you can use could be raw chicken with cooked white rice. Or, you can boil the chicken and mix with the cooked rice. You can also add cooked carrots. The cocker spaniel referred to in the beginning of this article was placed on a high protein, rice diet for his remaining years.
Conventional drug treatments work for cushings disease in dogs when regulated by your vet. Almost all of the negative side effects eventually disappear and your dog will return to good health.
Lastly, the sooner dog owners recognize dog illnesses - especially serious ones like Cushings - and implement treatment, the better chance their pet has of beating a disease and returning to good health. I recommend owners obtain a copy of Veterinary Secrets Revealed. This e-book, written by a qualified vet contains information about numerous dog health issues and their treatment options, useful home remedies, plus advice about which dog illnesses need a prompt consultation with a pet professional.
If you enjoy this site or page, please consider using
the Box below to Share or Tweet about it. The doggies thank you!
Organic Pet Superfood
© 2004-2019 dog-spoiling-made-easy.com
and its licensors. All Rights Reserved
As an Amazon Associate, Dog Spoiling earns a small commission from qualifying purchases.